December is that time of the year when people have busy schedules and are super motivated to enjoy every single moment. I have to admit, I love organising get together with friends and anything that can make this month more festive. It is not only ‘December’, it’s also the last month of the year and you should be ending it with tones of good times and lovely memories!
In this post I’ve decided to write a few ideas for you, based on what I’ve been doing so far. It may be a little late to share this but you can keep my recommendations for next year 😉 although it is never too late for a bit of fun.
Here I have gathered a list of things you could do and places you could go to around Dublin:
- WORK CHRISTMAS PARTY: It’s quite common for jobs to organise a Christmas party for its employees. This year my company decided to celebrate their Xmas party in Croke Park (The Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) stadium) with the theme ‘Urban Circus’ – pretty cool, uh? The place did not fail me at all; it was such a good night to spend it with work colleagues and if I were you, I wouldn’t miss the work Christmas party for anything in the world. I bet you’d end up having a great time!
- DINNER AT FARMER BROWNS: The place is absolutely lovely and their food is actually good. December may be the best time of the year to go if you are organising a Christmas dinner with your friends. But if you are one of those who don’t like loud places, it’s better to avoid it this month. The food is delicious though and the atmosphere can get very festive. If you want to read more about my experience at Farmer Browns, please check out one of my previous posts.
- 12 PUBS OF CHRISTMAS: Oh gosh! Where to start? – You have to drink A LOT and do it FAST! In Ireland, the 12 pubs has become a tradition for which a Christmas jumper, extra budget and a list of rules and pubs is necessary. You basically need to drink in each pub either a Pint of beer, a half pint (like me), or a drink of your choice. There are also “shot penalties” for breaking the rules. Examples of rules are: the ‘Accent Pub’ – you all must speak with an accent other than your native one OR the ‘No Pointing Pub’ – this is harder than you think. Although, don’t forget to drink responsibly, after all it’s all about having fun with your friends.
- DRINKS AT T.P SMITHS: After a crazy weekend in December, you want to take it easy for the next few days and go for a quiet mid-week after work drink to catch up with friends. I recommend visiting T. P. Smiths – the traditional Irish Pub where you can have a nice Pint of Guinness or Harp (my Favourite) + some comfort food and a nice chat. The place is located right in the heart of the city centre if you feel like having a drink or two – after work or after shopping.
- DINNER AT HOME WITH FRIENDS: Yes! This one never fails. Having a relaxing and lovely night in with friends is always nice when it is cold outside. Let everyone bring their favorite food & drinks, and just have a good time. I strongly advise you to try a Raclette party, it is the easiest, most convivial and enjoyable thing to do! Besides, it is delicious and a great idea for winter time.
- BREDELE MAKING: Use your baking skills and delight your friends and family with these delicious Alsatian little biscuits. Bredele are definitely the perfect addition to all your Christmas gifts. If you are wondering what these are and how to bake them – simply take a look at my previous post ‘Bredele making for this Christmas’.
- KRIS KINDLE (Secret Santa): Believe it or not, doing a Secret Santa can be so much fun; either you do it at work, with your family or friends. Choose a theme such as colour, quirky, romantic, size, cute, etc. The idea is to make it original in a way. Some of the places that offer great ideas for the gift exchange are: Debenhams, Eason, Tiger, Penneys (Primark) and also Old World New shop.
- CINEMA NIGHT: Before the big Christmas day, going to the cinema to cool you down after such a busy month can definitely be a good plan. In December, there’s always something ideally to watch. This time it was Rogue One: a Star Wars story. The scenario and special effects are really worth the detour 😉
- CHRISTMAS GIFT SHOPPING: Do this way in advance! This is the best advice I can give you 😉 Also, try to make a list of the people you are giving presents to and plan a budget.
I really hope you enjoy my post 🙂 Merry Christmas xoxo
PS: See the Spanish version of this article here.